Friday, April 16, 2010

The KFC Double Down Sandwich: A Review

Kentucky Fried Chicken’s Double Down sandwich made its debut this past Monday and I have to say, I am not impressed.

It looks as good as it tastes, which isn't saying much.

If you have been ducking all the media coverage on the Double Down, it contains two pieces of bacon, slices of pepper and Monterrey jack cheese slathered in the non-descript “Colonel’s Sauce” sandwiched between two pieces of chicken breast fillets.

There are two versions available of the sandwich, original recipe and a surprisingly saltier, grilled version.

The moment the Double Down was available for mass consumption, I headed straight to my local KFC – okay, maybe not straight away, but as soon as I was done with school.

I drove up to the KFC’s drive-through station and ordered an original recipe Double Down combo meal – in addition to the sandwich – the combo includes a small order of potato wedges and a medium sized soda.

The cashier taking my order was actually surprised that I ordered the sandwich and even asked twice if I was sure that I really wanted to order it. I guess even the employees are in disbelief in what the Colonel has concocted.

I instantly regretted ever buying the sandwich – especially as a combo – as soon as I took my first bite.

Immediately I felt a tightness in my chest and a queasiness in my stomach, although it might have just been all in my head.

The two slices of “bread” tasted like an average piece of KFC chicken and was slightly on the dry side as well as being tough and chewy.

And the breading of the chicken was a disappointment. Only the outer edges of each fillet were thoroughly breaded and crunchy while everything else was saggy and incredibly oily And as the picture above shows, it obviously doesn't look like the sandwich used in KFC's promotion of it.

The actual content of the double down was the biggest disappointment of the sandwich. I could barely tell the difference between the two cheeses that were used, the bacon was two small strips that were extremely rubbery and chewy and the sauce was practically nonexistent.

 Why yes, it does look like someone put a fried egg on top of it.

But that didn’t matter, the two pieces of (extremely salty) chicken overpowered everything else, so I wasn’t able to differentiate between the different ingredients that were used – and half-way through eating the sandwich, I discovered that the insides had coagulated into one, unappetizing mass.

After plowing through and downing everything in my combo meal I can safely say that no one should get the Double Down sandwich.

It’s greasy, it’s unhealthy and it’s not worth the price of $7.60 – for the combo meal plus tax, but it’s also not worth it by itself.

If you real want to have a chicken sandwich, I suggest that you go to your kitchen and make on yourself. Your heart will thank you for it.
----
Photos by Andy Nguyen

No comments:

Post a Comment