Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Conveyor belt sushi is surprise delight: restaurant puts a twist on classic California Roll

Originally published in the November 11, 2009 edition of The Coast Report 
by Andy Nguyen, Views Editor

Photo by Andy Nguyen

Conveyor belt sushi bars seem to have a taboo attached to them. Apparently you’re not supposed to grab sushi from the belt and instead order directly from the chef. But then, what’s the point?

Half the fun of going to a conveyor belt sushi bar is getting sushi off of the belt.

Kura Sushi is one of these conveyor belt sushi bars, and I always get my sushi off the belt.


It wasn’t the first time I’ve been to Kura. It’s becoming my go-to place for good, cheap sushi and I decided to go with two of my friends for lunch.

My favorite roll at Kura has to be the Godzilla roll. Contrary to what the name may imply, the Godzilla roll is just a simple California roll that is deep fried and topped off with spicy sauce and eel sauce.

Kura was able to take something as bland and boring as a California roll and turn it into something so much better. It has a pleasant crunchy exterior and packs one hell of a punch when it comes to the spice department.

My friends and I love the Godzilla roll so much that we tend to eat every plate that’s on the conveyor belt.

Coming in a close second is the candy roll. Like the Godzilla roll, it’s essentially a California roll that Kura was able to make better by having it topped with salmon and cream cheese.

At first it seemed like something that would taste completely horrible but I was surprised how well the cream cheese worked with the fresh salmon.

I also had a spicy salmon roll topped with smelt egg. While initially eating the roll it didn’t have any indication of spiciness but its aftertaste put aside my doubts.

I also had tasted the tuna nigiri fresh and it’s something I recommend for anyone eating at Kura.

The crunchy roll was a hit or a miss with my friends. While one my friends loved it, another found that it was on the bland side.

Personally, the Crunchy rolls at Kura can be a hit or a miss with me as well, but on average they’re far from being bland, especially when drizzled with eel sauce.

I recommend Kura Sushi for anyone who’s in the mood for good sushi and wanting to try something different. The wait staff was friendly and accommodating and will make your experience one to remember.

Kura Sushi is at 212 E. 17th Street, Costa Mesa.

It is open 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 11:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. Friday, noon to 10:30 p.m. Saturday and noon to 9:30 p.m. Sunday.

Sushi prices range from $1.25 to $3.25.

For further information call Kura at (949) 631-3200.

No comments:

Post a Comment