Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Cheese Whiz and steak make an incredible meal: surprisingly authentic cheesesteak hits the spot.

Originally published in the December 9, 2009 edition of The Coast Report 
by Andy Nguyen, Views Editor


Photo by Geoff Davis 

As the name implies, Philly’s Best Authentic Cheesesteak and Hoagie Shop is home to the most authentic Philly cheesesteak you’ll have short of actually going to Philadelphia.

I was aware that Philly’s Best was a chain restaurant and was at first dubious at that the sandwiches were “authentic,” but after having a cheesesteak from Pat’s King of Steaks (credited as the birthplace of the Philly cheesesteak) over the summer, I can safely say that their claim is justified.

I went to Philly’s Best with a friend of mine during what seemed like a lull in their lunch rush, and within a minute of placing our order, we got our sandwiches.

My friend humorously referred to Philly’s Best as a “Quiznos that doesn’t suck.”

He got the pepper steak, a cheesesteak with sweet peppers, while I had the standard cheesesteak with onions and Cheese Whiz.

After taking my first bite, I was pleasantly surprised on how much it tasted like the cheesesteak I had in Philadelphia — cheese whiz and all.

When I first had a cheesesteak with Cheese Whiz, a variant on the classic sandwich, on it I was highly skeptical if it would even taste good.

But now I can’t even picture eating a cheesesteak without it, in addition to the copious amounts of black pepper and Old Bay Seasoning I powder the sandwich with.

I wholeheartedly recommend Philly’s Best for anyone who always wanted to try an authentic cheesesteak but does not have the time or money to make a trip to Philadelphia. But word to the wise, this location is cash only.

The interior of the restaurant is obviously Philadelphia-centric with a Philadelphia Eagles themed wallpaper boarder decorating the men’s restroom. A wall of the restaurant is adorned with Polaroids of various people praising their sandwiches, many of whom are from Philadelphia.

But if cheesesteaks aren’t your cup of tea, the place does have other items to choose from including burgers, hoagies and something called pizza-fries.

This particular Philly’s Best is located at 18691 Brookhurst St., Fountain   Valley in the Callens Corner  Shopping Center. And according to its website, it is the first restaurant in the chain that was established.

They are open Monday through Saturday 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment