Sunday, November 21, 2010

Mobile food truck offers delicious gourmet sliders

By Annie Kim, Staff Writer

Photo courtesy of Mobi Munch

There were about eight different food trucks that Thursday afternoon at the Orange County Fairgrounds’ Food Truck Fare, ranging from sweet and savory to Asian and Mexican.

Still, the noticeably long line at The Burnt Truck gave me the clue that that’s where I should probably start.

After speaking to several people in line and asking them what was good, my order was decided for me: the cheeseburger, the fried chicken slider and their special of the day, a Korean BBQ slider.

A cheeseburger slider sounded simple enough but The Burnt Truck’s version is anything but. I think the trick is in the grilled onions and the avocado spread—plus, when you bite into it, the cheese kind of oozes into your mouth, but not in a thick gushing sort of a way. Imagine a thin piece of cheese that is perfectly melting as you bite into it.

For some reason, when I thought of a fried chicken slider a picture of the Colonel from Kentucky Fried Chicken automatically popped into my head. Except when I tried The Burnt Truck’s slider, I realized that it was far removed from KFC’s idea of fried chicken.

The slider resembled an updated version of southern fried chicken with biscuits and gravy. The chicken in the slider wasn’t dry and not too salty. The crunchy exterior of the chicken was delicate and crumbled after biting into it.

The gravy and garlic potato spread ratio was just enough to not overwhelm the slider and made my bites neat and tidy but still flavorful. Whoever made this recipe is, I’m assuming, a culinary genius.

The cheeseburger slider had incredible flavor and the fried chicken slider had great texture. Both were really good and I would definitely go back again.

Unfortunately, I didn’t love the Korean BBQ slider, which happened to be one of their specials that day.

It was too sweet for my taste and the flavors were much stronger than the other two sliders. It was a bit overwhelming and seemed to lack the finesse the other two sliders had.

Head over to The Burn Truck's website to take a look at their menu and to find out where they’re going to be for the week or follow them on their Twitter page.

No comments:

Post a Comment