Monday, August 16, 2010

Pee Wee's Famous Hot Dogs and Hamburgers

Logo courtesy of peeweesfamous.com

Contrary to the name, this restaurant has no affiliation to the hyperactive alter-ego of Paul Reubens, which is probably good thing if you think about it--but I digress.

Pee Wee's Famous Hot Dogs and Hamburgers has been open for about a month now so, at the suggestion of a friend who seems to go to the place for every one of his lunch breaks, I decided to head over with a group of friends to see what they have to offer.

I got the Hawaiian dog, made with a chicken sausage on Hawaiian bread with mango relish and a slice of pineapple, and an order of their onion rings.

When I got the Hawaiian dog, the bread was soggy, extremely soggy. It started to fall apart in my hands. Maybe if I asked for the relish on the side it could've been avoided, but nevertheless, I got over it and really enjoyed eating it. There was a nice balance between the savory taste from the sausage and the sweetness that the relish and pineapple had.

I'd recommend getting a Hawaiian dog for anyone who's a first-timer, as long as you don't mind a soggy bun.

As for the onion rings, I liked it. I'm not much of fan for onion rings--usually because when I get them they either have too much of the breading or too little of it. Thankfully, like the Hawaiian dog, there was a nice balance between the breading and the onion.

Unfortunately I don't think there's an onion ring on Earth where you can bite into it and NOT have the onion come out of the breading.

As for my friends, the all got something different and they all enjoyed it for the most part. One friend complained about the sogginess of her hot dog while another complained that their supreme chili dog wasn't "supreme enough." Despite their complaints, they still enjoyed their dogs.

Their prices are pretty much the same compared to other hot dog places I've been to and the service was great, the guy who took my order was friendly and I didn't have to wait long before I got to chow down.

As for the place itself, like I mentioned earlier they've been open for about a month. The dinning room is pretty clean and the décor is pretty plain with the exception of a few framed posters and a flatscreen TV (which was sadly off during my visit since there seemed to be a lull in customers).

Really, my only complaints (technically non-complains) were the soggy bun, the fact that it's literally a hole in the wall and it took me awhile to find. Other than that, I totally recommend this place to anyone who's looking for a good hot dog (haven't had their burgers yet) and want an alternative to a place like Pink's.

Pee Wee's is located at 5942 E. Edinger Ave, Huntington Beach. They're open Monday to Friday 11 a.m.--7 p.m. and Saturday 11 a.m.--5 p.m.

For more information call 714-846-3100 or visit their website at http://www.peeweesfamous.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment